Red pepper quiche
Here’s a high-calorie and high-protein meal that could be prepared a little bit ahead of time and warmed up when you don’t have a lot of energy to cook.
Recipe and photo by: Kin’s Farm Market
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 onion, caramelized or pan fried
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced, pan fried
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Mix flour and butter together with your hands until dough comes together into a ball.
- Add the water and extra butter or flour as necessary to develop the right consistency.
- Spread the dough on a 9 in (23 cm) round tart pan.
- Lightly beat the egg white and spread on top of the dough with a brush.
- Remove the excess dough and place the quiche shell in the fridge for half an hour. While the shell hardens in the fridge, prepare the filling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and beat the eggs and milk with salt and pepper until fluffy.
- Place the onion and bell pepper on the bottom of the quiche shell, cover it with the shredded cheddar cheese, and then cover it with the milk and egg mixture.
- Cook the quiche in the oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until you stick a knife in and it comes out clean. Serve with a side green salad.
Makes 6 slices
- Calories: 467
- Fat: 30 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Fibre: 2 gram
- Protein: 20 grams